Chipotle Butternut Squash Cheesy Sauce
This cheesy sauce can be poured over steamed or roasted vegetables, used as a soup base or pasta sauce, as a topping for baked potatoes, or simply eaten with a spoon. Consider doubling or tripling this recipe as it is delectable and can even stand up well in the refrigerator for several days.
- 1 small Butternut Squash (~2 lbs)
- ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup Nutritional Yeast
- ¾ cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp low-sodium tamari (Our favorite: Kikoman gluten free – 480 mg/tbsp!)
- ½-¾ tsp ground chipotle powder we like it spicy!
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking liner. Place the squash on the baking sheet (whole) and roast until the skin is brown and bubbling, approximately 40 minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, peel the squash, remove the seeds, and measure out 1 ½ cups of roasted squash. (Remaining roasted squash can be transferred to an airtight container and refrigerated for a later use.)
- In a blender, pulse the cashews and nutritional yeast until powdered, 10 to 20 seconds. Add the cooked squash, nondairy milk, lemon juice, tamari, and chipotle powder. Purée until smooth, about 60 seconds.
You can also use pre-chopped butternut squash, but cooking time will be decreased significantly, depending on size of cubes, so monitor closely.