Cape Cod Apple-Cannellini Bean Salad
Ray discovered this perfectly balanced, unassuming salad at a restaurant in Cape Cod several years ago.He mastered his own version, impressing Julieanna with the satisfying flavors and textures, and it has become a regular treat that could happily be enjoyed on a weekly basis.
- 1/2 cup red or vidalia onion seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups ~1/2-lb Yukon gold potatoes, chopped into small, 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 cup endive leaves end-shaved thin
- 1 can white cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups green apple julienned
- ½ cup celery sliced thin
- 1 oz ~7 Maille Cornichons, sliced thin
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme de-stemmed
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp olive oil optional
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Ground black pepper to taste
Slice red onions very thinly with mandolin or knife. In a small bowl or airtight container, add enough seasoned rice vinegar to cover onions. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes or more (see note).
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat, add chopped potatoes, and cook until fork-tender, approximately 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a large serving bowl, combine potatoes, beans, endive, celery, cornichons, raisins, and thyme.
In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, olive oil, and mustard and whisk to combine. Drizzle over salad and toss to combine. Sprinkle with ground black pepper and enjoy immediately. Or keep it in the refrigerator and allow the flavors to marinate further and enjoy the next day.